Late Night Thoughts: Why I Quit Retail

Tuesday, September 30, 2014



Remember the post I had a couple weeks ago about being nice to retail employees? Well, I told a couple fibs. At that point, I really hated my job. When I first started, I really, really enjoyed it, but that night I was completely full of hatred for my job and what I was doing.

So I quit.

I didn't quit quit. But I put in my two weeks. Why? Because I had grown unhappy. I'd grown tired of the work, of the terribly rude people, of the constant sharp pain in my heels or the numbness in them that occurred frequently. Retail is brutal. I don't care what anyone tells you. Maybe that don't work at a place where there's a constant rush of young girls wanting to play dress up or mothers that just can't keep their kids under control.

I've been working retail for a little over a year. It's been tough. I've come home crying many times from people being absolutely horrible to me. Why? I don't know, maybe it was because we didn't have a certain dress in a certain size and she would have to drive to another store to get it on time. Maybe it was because I didn't say the right thing at the right time. I was so sick of the constant breakdowns before every shift. Mentally, I'm done. Physically, I've been done for a long time, my brain finally caught up. I become ill every single time I work.

This is just the beginning of my eighteenth year of life. I want it to be full of life, love and laughter. I don't want to dread the days, I want to enjoy every single one of them. And I've been doing that a lot lately: dreading. The moment I turned in that letter of resignation, I became a happier person. Retail has made me a mad, mean, angry person. And that's not someone I want to be. That's someone I never have been.

I love my new job at a daycare center. And I'm so excited for this new journey.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)