Late Night Thoughts: Why I'm All About That Bass

Wednesday, October 29, 2014


I recently read an article in response to Meghan Trainor's song, All About That Bass. The author talks about how she believes the song is skinny shaming, as she is a size two - something that Meghan mentions in her song. Now, I am a plus sized girl and yes, this song is mainly aimed for bigger girls, but there are aspects of the song that portray both sides.

Yeah, it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two But I can shake it, shake it like I'm supposed to do
I think we first off need to address one point: every single body is completely different. There is no cookie cutter body - even if society does say that there is. And second, I'm pretty sure even people who are size two's (even if I've never been a size two) can shake it, shake it. Whether a size two or size twenty two you have something to shake.


I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop we know that -- ain't real, c'mon now, make it stop
I don't know about you but Photoshop scares me. It has the power to change our perception, change our surrounding, and change everything about us. More magazines than none use photoshop. It's sad to see so many beautiful young girls so completely upset about their appearance because she doesn't look like the girl on the cover of the magazine.

Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top.
Enough said. 

My mama she told me don't worry about your size
Not all mother's are like this. But they should be. Because you shouldn't worry about your size and that will be a constant thing that I'll be telling my future daughter. Without an established self confidence it's hard to gain some later in life. 

I won't be no stick figure, silicone Barbie doll, if thats what you're into the go ahead and move along
First off there is absolutely no one out there that has the figure of a Barbie doll. Ever seen this picture from The Barbie Campaign? So in actuality Meghan is really just taking a stab at society's view of what the perfect woman is: a tiny waist, blonde hair, and big boobs.

Go ahead and tell them skinny bi***** that, No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
This one line in the entire song seems to be the one that has gotten the most controversy. Is it because she's cursing? Or is it because she says skinny? Well I've heard people who are offended by both, but what they fail to recognise it that there are more lines after that:

But I'm here to tell you every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top
It seems as if the most crucial line in the song is overlooked because of the line before it. Most women in America believe that they're fat, or at least don't believe they're beautiful. And this one line tells those women that no matter the size they are absolutely perfect. Aren't we created in God's image? Aren't we created to play a part in His divine, perfect masterpiece? We are forgetting this part of life, that it's not all about what size pants we wear, it's about living for yourself and God.
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)